You are currently not signed in.

Please sign in or register.

Correlation

页数: 1 2 >
Jan 04, 2011 09:26 am
paradise User

帖子: 75
入会日期: 01/12/2010

Wikipedia: "In statistics, correlation and dependence are any of a broad class of statistical relationships between two or more random variables or observed data values." So, correlation is a way to compare 2 variables. In our case, we are going to compare 2 financial instruments. It can be two Forex pairs, 2 stocks, 2 bonds.... It can also be any two financial instruments like 1 bond and 1 stock, 1 Forex pair and 1 index etc... Correlation is a measure that ranges between -1 and +1. [-1] is a perfect negative correlation [+1] is a perfect positive correlation

A positive correlation implies that the movement of the 2 compared instruments move in a similar direction. A negative correlation implies that the movement of the 2 compared instruments move in an opposite direction.

When trading Forex, it is important to understand that you are buying and selling a pair and not a currency. So, technically you are making two trades; buying one currency and selling another one at the same time. That said, it is important to see how each single currency is performing against others. For example; We would compare the USD to other currencies (for this we can use the USD Index) and compare the Euro against other currencies. If we see that the Euro is strong against most of the currencies and the USD is weak; we can buy the EUR/USD. Doing so, will give us a very high probability of having a winner. We are buying the strongest pairs against the weakest one. Some just trade based on this concept. They search for the weakest and strongest currency and trade based on that information regardless what the pair is.

Jan 09, 2011 11:50 am
paradise User

Correlation VS Diversification

Many traders believe that trading different pairs is diversification. This can be very wrong. Many currency pairs are correlated. For example, if a trader goes long EUR/USD and long GBP/USD to diversify their trading. He will find himself increasing his risk instead of diversifying his portfolio. Trading EUR/USD and GBP/USD for the same direction will double your exposure to the USD. Another example would be going long on EUR/USD and going short on USD/JPY. Let’s make this example clearer;

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/c1caecd29a.jpg

We are going long EUR/USD and short USD/JPY so the formula would be like this: http://www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/bf3a89bbec.jpg

==> The result would be buying 1 lot of EUR, 1 lot of JPY and SELLING 2 lots of USD.

I will take the above example and invert it. In this new example, I will be buying EUR/USD but I want to partially hedge my position to stay on the safe side. In this case, I will buy EUR/USD and buy USD/JPY;

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/5ae667196f.jpg

In the end, we have hedged our exposure to USD. This means that we won’t be affected at all by anything the USD may do. Instead, we are buying EUR against JPY. If we are about to take these 2 positions at the same time, it would be a lot better to just buy the EUR/JPY pair. This will avoid us to pay a double spread (one for EUR/USD and another one for USD/JPY) Instead we will be paying the broker just the EUR/JPY spread.

Now, why am I mentioning all this? Most of us here, come to FXSTAT to check for the best performance and invest with its owner. Now it is imperative that we check the safety of the systems. We need to check the history statement and When you are choosing to invest in any performance here at FXSTAT. We need to check the statement’s history and see if the owner is respecting this concept.

For example; I am watching a performer that has amazing results. The system seems to diversify the portfolio with different trades. I check the trading statement and see that at some point the system went long simultaneously on EUR/USD, GBP/USD, AUD/USD.

So, what is he doing? He is shorting USD for 3 times the size of a normal position!! That’s 3 times the risk for this set of trades. But, that’s not all! He is also going long for EUR, GBP and AUD. These 3 currencies are correlated to each other. This means that instead of diversifying my portfolio to avoid serious drawdown, the performer is taking 3 times the usual risk!

Jan 09, 2011 01:54 pm
forexing User

帖子: 21
入会日期: 09/01/2011

Thanks for this explanation. I was never aware of this concept. I have a questions though, how you can determine that euro, gbp and aud are correlated? Is it something you have to remember?

Jan 13, 2011 08:10 pm
paradise User

I am having trouble upload pictures on the forum but you can google forex correlation tables You can check this table if you want. But do not take it religiously as correlation change with time. Also, you don't really need to memorize it for sure! Just get the feel of it. Mainly, any pair that ends with the same currency like eur/usd, gbp/usd etc... are correlated and pairs that start with the same currency like eur/usd eur/jpy are correlated...

Jan 14, 2011 09:41 am
forexing User

帖子: 21
入会日期: 09/01/2011

thanks I have made some research on that and I think I got it. The only thing I do not understand is why correlation varies? It would be great if you expand on this a little...

Jan 14, 2011 10:43 am
paradise User

Currencies have their own moves. Even if euro and pound for example are correlated. Each of them has its own economics. If euro and pound where 100% correlated, we wouldn't have the pair eur/gbp.... Some short or long term events will create some trouble with the correlation. for example, yesterday's events have affected the euro but not the pound. As a result the euro went up but the pound kept ranging. check this: http://www.fxstat.com/forum/showpost/25-Trading-Discussion/130-EUR/2#qitem276

I hope i was clear on that, let me know if you have any other questions

Feb 13, 2011 03:54 am
paradise User

The graph below shows how stocks and the dollar have traded through the month of January. The red line is the stock market as measured by the mini S&P 500 futures. The black line is the cash Dollar Index. http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/453/dollarindex.png So what’s the conclusion? At times the markets definitely show a strong negative correlation. The period between January 10th and January 18thshow two markets almost totally going in opposite directions. The two markets were positively correlated during the earlier part of the month, however, and since the 18th things have been rather muddled. The point is correlations change, even from day to day at times.

And change is the key. The chart below goes back a year and plots the 1-month trailing correlation between the S&P 500 index and the EUR/USD rate (the latter being the major element to the Dollar Index). When EUR/USD is rising it means a weaker dollar, so a strong positive correlation means stocks and the buck are moving in opposite directions. http://img689.imageshack.us/img689/3464/sp500vseurusd1mocorrela.png Notice how much variability there’s been in the correlation just in the last year. Certainly, most of the time stocks and the dollar have moved in opposite directions (positive correlation on the above chart), including of late. That wasn’t always a strong correlation, though, and at several points the correlation was negative, indicating stocks and the dollar moving in the same direction.

Then there’s the relationship between gold and the dollar, which hasn’t been nearly as consistent as the one between stocks and the dollar. The chart below shows the last year worth of trailing 1-month correlations between the metal and the greenback. http://img248.imageshack.us/img248/1917/goldvseurusd1mocorrelat.png Again, here we have EUR/USD as a kind of reverse proxy for the Dollar Index. If gold and the dollar consistently trade in opposite directions we would expect to see a consistent strong positive correlation between gold and EUR/USD. That clearly has not been the case, however. Most of the time, in fact, the relationship has been the other way around – gold and the dollar generally moving in the same direction.

The changes in correlations between markets reflect changes in the primary moving force underlying those markets. Stocks and the dollar have moved in opposing directions thanks to risk on/off psychology in the past. That’s less the case now, which is why the arguments are being made about the negative correlation breaking down. There are other things, however, which can cause that inverse relationship to continue. One of those is relatively low interest rates in the US pressuring the greenback, but at the same time benefiting stocks.

Likewise, gold and the dollar have traded in the same direction at times of risk-on/off because investor money flows into dollar and into gold when there’s a lot of fear in the market. The two markets trade in opposite directions when the market is more fixated on the negative impact of something like quantitative easing on the dollar (higher money supply reduces the value of the dollar in terms of real assets).

The point is, just because one set of causes for markets being correlated or uncorrelated are no longer the major driving force, it doesn’t mean that there isn’t another set of causes that can maintain the same or similar linkage.

Sep 05, 2011 11:39 pm

帖子: 513
入会日期: 08/02/2011

I share a chart of correlation plz see that also .(on the forum with the same name)

that is very simple chart with more explanation.

http://www.xynafx.com/ Xynafx ... fund managers and forex signal service providers Minimum investment for our Forex managed Account service is $2k that will be managed individually in one investors account. XynaFx signals As low as $26 per Month.

Sep 08, 2011 03:14 am
ironical User

帖子: 734
入会日期: 22/04/2011

Originally posted by paradise

Correlation VS Diversification

Many traders believe that trading different pairs is diversification. This can be very wrong. Many currency pairs are correlated. For example, if a trader goes long EUR/USD and long GBP/USD to diversify their trading. He will find himself increasing his risk instead of diversifying his portfolio. Trading EUR/USD and GBP/USD for the same direction will double your exposure to the USD. Another example would be going long on EUR/USD and going short on USD/JPY. Let’s make this example clearer;

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/c1caecd29a.jpg

We are going long EUR/USD and short USD/JPY so the formula would be like this: http://www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/bf3a89bbec.jpg

==> The result would be buying 1 lot of EUR, 1 lot of JPY and SELLING 2 lots of USD.

I will take the above example and invert it. In this new example, I will be buying EUR/USD but I want to partially hedge my position to stay on the safe side. In this case, I will buy EUR/USD and buy USD/JPY;

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/5ae667196f.jpg

In the end, we have hedged our exposure to USD. This means that we won’t be affected at all by anything the USD may do. Instead, we are buying EUR against JPY. If we are about to take these 2 positions at the same time, it would be a lot better to just buy the EUR/JPY pair. This will avoid us to pay a double spread (one for EUR/USD and another one for USD/JPY) Instead we will be paying the broker just the EUR/JPY spread.

Now, why am I mentioning all this? Most of us here, come to FXSTAT to check for the best performance and invest with its owner. Now it is imperative that we check the safety of the systems. We need to check the history statement and When you are choosing to invest in any performance here at FXSTAT. We need to check the statement’s history and see if the owner is respecting this concept.

For example; I am watching a performer that has amazing results. The system seems to diversify the portfolio with different trades. I check the trading statement and see that at some point the system went long simultaneously on EUR/USD, GBP/USD, AUD/USD.

So, what is he doing? He is shorting USD for 3 times the size of a normal position!! That’s 3 times the risk for this set of trades. But, that’s not all! He is also going long for EUR, GBP and AUD. These 3 currencies are correlated to each other. This means that instead of diversifying my portfolio to avoid serious drawdown, the performer is taking 3 times the usual risk!

That is a great concept. Very useful. Valuable increase in my knowledge :)

Thankyou Paradise

The good or ill of a man lies within his own will. – Epictetus

Sep 22, 2011 10:26 am
megrawab Hostedslavebeta

帖子: 332
入会日期: 16/08/2011

Thanks for this post paradise! This has just been my observation in the past but has been strengthened by your concept. Another reason why I noticed this is that when brokers or signal providers provide notifications and signals about Eur/Usd, they also mention and relate the signals with Eur/JPY..

I am a hosted slave beta.

Oct 04, 2011 12:12 pm

帖子: 939
入会日期: 21/04/2011

Thats a good explaination. Correlation and then the way of explaining diversification was nice. We now have one more way to analyze statements of the traders here.

Increasing risk by more correlated pairs means increase in return. Diversification is a good strategy if we want to minimize our risk but we will also be minimizing our profit.

Stick to your rules

页数: 1 2 >